Recipe #2 – Lentil Soup (by Giada De Laurentiis on Food Network)
a great recipe to try by food network star, Giada. Don’t be fooled by it’s name as it’s warm, hearty and loaded with delicious flavor.
Total time: 1 hr 10 min
prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hr
Yield: 6-8 servings or more.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound lentils (approximately 1 1/4 cups)
- 11 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 4 to 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2/3 cup dried elbow pasta
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Add the lentils and mix to coat. Add the broth and stir.
- Add the thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta. Simmer until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.
Thank you to my good friend Michelle who told me about this recipe from Giada De Laurentiis on Food Network.
Serve with Italian bread and butter.